A Family of Scientists
George Boole was born in 1815; he is famous for his works an the field of mathematical analysis. His wife Mary Everest was a niece of George Everest. He is known as a man who performed topographic survey in India on a large scale in 1841. It is after him that highest peak in the world is named. Mary Everest was very much interested in her husband's work and after his death she published several books which contributed greatly to the development of his theory. The Booles had five daughters, the eldest daughter Mary married C.Hinton who was a well-known mathematician, inventor and author of science-fiction books.
Their three grandchildren became scientists. Howard was a talented entomologist, William and Joan were both physicists. The latter was almost the only woman-physicist who took part in the work at the atomic project of the USA. Their second daughter Margaret is known as the mother of the outstanding English mathematician Jeffrey Tailor who is a foreign member of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Their third daughter Alicia was a specialist in the field of multidimensional space. The fourth daughter Lucy was the first woman-professor who was the head of a chemistry department. But the youngest daughter Ethel Lilian is the most famous. She married the Polish scientist and revolutionist Voynich. Her wonderful book 'The Gadfly" is translated into many languages and is popular in many countries of the world.
1. Whom do we call interesting personalities?
2. What facts of their life and activities impress us most of all?
3. Are they hardworking and creative people?
4. What outstanding scientists do you know? What makes you respect them?
5. Who is your favourite writer? What do you know about him?
6. Are political figures interesting personalities?
7. Do interesting people inspire us?
8. Could you recall any episode (any period) in your life when the influence of some interesting personality upon you was especially strong?
9. Would you like to be an interesting personality?
10. Do you hope to be an interesting personality?
11. Do we need such people?